September 29, 2011

The Past Becomes the Future

Salvania followed her husband down the dark passageway where the walls seemed to emit a coolness that could pierce a blazing fire. Rats scurried back and forth across the dirt covered floor. A shiver crawled down her spine and she griped her husband's hand tightly. "What is this place? Where are we going?"

"You will see, my darling." Trebor said. They walked on and on in the dark shadows of mystery. Seoden's face revealed nothing to the queen and neither did Trebor's. Finally, they reached a doorway made of a solid, sturdy wood and barred with a single iron lock. Trebor produced a key and after unlocking the door he turned to Salvania and said, "Whatever you see beyond these doors must remain a secret. We do not know how much the enemy knows of this, but it is imperative that they learn no more, at least from us." And with a gentle look he added, "These secrets must be kept even unto death. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my husband. Even though I do not know what you are speaking of, I will keep whatever secrets must be kept and I will follow whatever orders you have given." Trebor smiled slightly and opened the heavy door. Salvania gasped with wonder. The walls were covered in an ancient text. It seemed to swirl and flow like water or smoke. The text was unintelligible to her, but at some points she thought she could almost understand their meaning even though she didn't speak the tongue. The floor was littered with gold, silver, and precious gems of all colors and varieties. The treasures reflected the light of the torches onto the walls and the lights danced joyously among the text. The floor was as smooth as stone and in its center was a silver pedestal of which sat an enormous red gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very interested in your thoughts and suggestions for my stories and I also welcome ideas for new ones. I do, however, need to emphasize that I do not approve of swearing or inappropriate talk whatsoever. If what you have to say can not be said in an honoring and respectful way, then I really don't want to hear it. Thank you.